Saturday, August 6, 2011

cutouts

I have always loved cutouts starting with paper dolls when I was a kid. Right before I went to graduate school I did a series of 20 paintings on paper that I then cut out into life figures dancing. I realized
that the little milagros I was making maybe should be something more...


First inspiration. Elsa Mora



Matisse


Kara Walker

Mine are ceramic plates and tiles

Here's the first few













They still have a long ways to go, to be as powerful as my inspiration, but they were just plates a few hours ago...


2 comments:

  1. very impressive! They share the 'brut' feel with works like of Jean Dubuffet and aboriginal form like Bill Traylor's figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment I love Dubuffet and Bill traylors work! I am still playing with the wet saw I hope to post more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete